DIY statement necklace is easy to make yourself at home, you can easily do it with broken necklace chains or cheap chains from jewellery supply shops, eBay or even try thrifting some from bootsales or charity shops. My friend Eliza recently made over a broken bracelet in a similar way which is what gave me the inspiration for this DIY.
Easy DIY Chains
– I’ve used 4 18inch gold coloured chains which I bought from a craft shop – add more or less depending on the thickness and boldness you want to go for.
Contrasting cord or ribbon – I’m using 1.5cm thick dark cream satin ribbon
1. Make sure your chains are done up and the fastenings are at roughly the same point..
2. Place thick cardboard on your surface so the paint won’t stain. Surround the out-lying areas in newspaper, tape down if necessary.
3. Tape the chains down in two places leaving three equal sections. Cover the middle section with a small patch of newspaper or tape (I used tape) and spray the outer two sections with your spray paint. It may need more than one coat depending on how bright a colour you would like.
4. Once the chains are thoroughly dry (it takes longer than you think) take a length of ribbon (the length depends on how long you like to wear your necklaces), double over and insert through one end of the chains. Pull the loose ends through the loop and pull tight and knot to secure. Do this on both sides.