The final step in a project’s completion is to inspect the site thoroughly. This will ensure that everything is safe and clean. The final inspection usually includes a construction punchlist. This ensures that everything is in order, all damages are addressed and property is up-to-standard. A custom post-construction cleaning checklist can be used to make sure all these things are completed.
What is a Post Construction Cleaning Checklist?
A post-construction cleaning list is a detailed document that lists the areas that need to be cleaned. This checklist helps workers to go through each area and identify any cleanup tasks before the project is considered complete.
What to Include in Your Checklist
The checklist should cover every area of the building. This checklist should be used as a guide for workers to inspect every aspect of the building, including floors, windows, ceilings, and exterior features. It also serves to remove trash and debris. Here are some suggestions:
Entrances and exits
Every door that leads into the building must be cleaned and inspected. These are the areas that the new owner should inspect and clean when they arrive at the property.
- Exterior lights should be swept
- Check that all lights are on.
- Clean windows
- Clean doors, door frames, and doorknobs
- You can make a great entrance.
Living rooms and common areas must be clean, tidy, well-lit and free from debris. You should get rid of any evidence that you were working.
- The floors are mopped and vacuumed.
- All lights work and are free from dust
- Doorknobs, light switches and doorknobs are easy to clean
- Window tracks, window sills and windows are cleaned and dusted
- There is no evidence of paint droppings on the floors, or wall scuffs.
- Get rid of your trash
- Doorframes and doors cleaned
Kitchens can be a complicated space, with many crevices and places that are often overlooked. A part of completing a building project is making certain that the kitchen is clean and in good working order.
- All shelves and counters should be swept.
- Make sure to clean the inside of your appliances
- Keep your drawers and cabinets clean
- Make sure that all cabinet hardware is secure and clean
- Vacuum/mop floors
- Window tracks, window sills, and windows that are clean
- Remove trash
- Clean your sink and backsplash
- All fixtures and finishes should be cleaned
Bathrooms are often the smallest rooms in a house, but they must be in good condition by the end.
- All surfaces, including the sink, tub, and shower, are spotless.
- Toilets are sanitized
- Mirrors, cabinets and counters can be wiped clean
- The floors are mopped and vacuumed.
- Clean inside cabinets and drawers
- Window frames, baseboards, light fixtures and doorknobs can be cleaned.
- The trash is taken away
A clean bedroom area is one that has been cleaned thoroughly. This includes dusting light fixtures and cleaning up trash. When inspecting a bedroom, there are other things you should be aware of:
- Clean inside closets
- Ceiling fans and light fixtures should be cleaned
- Wiping down baseboards
- Dust built-in shelving units
- Ventilating and dusting the vents
- Remove paint from hinges
Outdoor Spaces/ Landscaping
Your final post-construction cleaning checklist should include an inspection of the exterior of your property. This involves ensuring that all signs of construction, such as tape and plastic, are removed from the property and properly disposed off.
- All trash must be removed
- Power wash/sweep the walkways
- All patios, decks and porches should be cleaned
- Clean garage door and mailbox
Get Device Magic Free
Although this checklist is primarily for residential builds, Device Magic’s builder allows you to create custom checklists for industrial or commercial construction projects. To create a custom post-construction cleaning checklist for your next project, drag and drop elements such as photos, categories and text into your form.